Whilst the thought of sun, sea and sand is exciting, the prospect of hitting the beach having had a baby may not be! Yes, there are a lucky few who snap straight back into their shape postnatally without a stretch mark in sight, for most of us there are a few extra pounds to deal with as well as the trademark muffin top! The thought of donning a bikini isn’t an appealing one and if you feel this way about your postnatal body, you are most certainly not alone.Â In fact 72% of new mums will not wear a bikini and 32% avoid taking their little one swimming all together as they are uncomfortable with their new bodies and find swimwear too revealing.
However there are some steps you can take to maximise your assets and help you to feel body confident this summer.Â Here are some top tips to help you feel fabulous on the beach, by the pool or even in the back garden!
Top tips for post-baby beach body confidence
- Hydrate, no one looks and feels their best if they are dried up and dehydrated.Â Drinking plenty of water will firm up your skin, give you more energy and actually helps weight loss.
- Fake it â donât bake it! A little bit of fake tan can go a long way to boosting your confidence in the nearly naked state. A subtle tan can make your limbs appear more toned and improve the appearance of cellulite, without masking your shape.
- Exfoliate: Donât want a fake tanÂ but still want your skin to look deliciously shiny and healthy? Exfoliation is another easy way to make yourself look fresh and glowy in a matter of minutes. Use a gentle scrub and remember to moisturise afterwards. Goodbye dry patches, hello hydrated sun goddess skin!
- âBig hair donât careâ! Adding volume to your hair draws attention to the upper half of your body, balancing your silhouette and providing a distraction from any parts you may not want people focusing on. Ponytails are also effective, as they add height to your stature and stretch you out. You can also rock a sun hat!
- Mix, match and cover â look great in a bikini but hate your thighs? No problem, stock on a pair of swim shorts. Love your legs but your tums gets you down? No problem, try a tankini! Show off what you love and cover what you love a little less.
- Try a heel. Maybe not on the sand, but certainly pool side! Opting for a wedge sandal, small heel or even flip flops with a thicker sole can make your entire body appearÂ longer and leaner.
- Stand up straight. Pro tip: it doesnât matter how fit you are, no one looks that pretty hunched over. Posture makes ALL the difference when youâve not got layers of clothes to hide underneath. Donât suck it in,Â just stretch up tall, throw your shoulders back and stand with as much confidence as you can muster. Straightening your spine is literally the quickest and most effective change you can make â not to mention itâs free.
- A women in lipstick can change the world: For some people, not having make-up on makes them feel the most self-conscious at the beach. That being said, heavy make-up doesnât really fair too well in the summer months. If you really need coverage for a confidence boost, go with a slick of BB cream and someÂ waterproof eye make-up that will last through any amount of sweat or swim. Youâll still feel polished but wonât have to worry aboutÂ your face looking like itâs half melted off.
- Choose foods that work for your body. No, we donât mean dieting. We mean choosing foods that prevent you from feelingÂ sluggish or bloatedÂ can help you feel lighter, healthier and more likely to throw your suit on without a second thought. This is different for everyone and no one knows your body like you!
- Choose swimwear that is supportive and shaping, pulling you in and pushing you out in all the right places!!