Exciting as your growing bump may be, it’s a new maternity style that you may need some help with!! With an expanding waist and burgeoning bosom, your shape will be changing every day and whilst there’s a plethora of maternity style options available now, you may not want to spend a small fortune on new clothes that you’ll (hopefully!) be consigning to the back of the cupboard in a few months.
We’ve been getting some great advice from award winning fashion stylist, Lisa Talbot, who’s sharing her maternity fashion tips with us….
Having a baby is a wonderful time of any woman’s life but it can also be a daunting time of what to wear for the last 6 months when the bump gets bigger. We absolutely understand that many of you don’t really want to spend a small fortune on specialised maternity clothes that only last for such a short time.
We would recommend a selection of items that are your ‘must haves’ for this time which you can easily pick up from any of our great high street stores, all the garments selected will keep you looking modern and fresh during your pregnancy;
- Empire line tops
- Empire line dresses
- Shift style dresses
- A line skirts
- High waisted legging style trousers ( there are lots in our stores leading up to Autumn/Winter)
Just remember one thing…..your body needs structure to give it shape, wearing baggy will only make the area appear larger than it is, it’s all about the shape & style.
- Don’t shy away from bold colours & print when you are pregnant
- Maxi dresses are super for any mum to be and will continue to work for you after the baby is born, use them for daytime and evening looks.
- A longer length jacket will accommodate your bump. Any single breasted or boyfriend blazer jacket with a low cut neckline will give the illusion of a longer, slimmer body
- The empire line will work brilliantly both in tops and dresses. It will be tight under the bust then drapes over your tummy
- Do buy a couple of pieces with an elasticated waist, these will not only bring you comfort but will look super teamed with an empire line tunic
For those more special occasions, however, when you want to feel fabulous but don’t want to spend a small fortune, you can rent both Maternity and Breastfeeding Dresses.
Some of the benefits of renting can be
- Hire a dress for 5 or 10 days
- Choose a back up size for free
- Dresses available in sizes 6 to 16 (varies from providers)
- Cleaning take care of.