The sweet and smooth flavours of butternut squash and red pepper are exciting tastes that babies usually love. The chickpeas bring a rich, nuttiness and the hint of rosemary adds an extra depth of flavour to this classic Mediterranean combination.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 140g (1 ½) Red Peppers, skinned, cored and chopped
- 210g butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tsp fresh (and chopped) or dried ground rosemary
- 60g chickpeas*
- Sauté the peppers and butternut squash in the olive oil for around 8 minutes, alternatively, you can steam for 10 minutes.
- Add the rosemary cook for a further 5 minutes until everything is soft.
- Remove from heat and add the chickpeas and puree.Note: Skinning the pepper is optional, it is slightly harder to digest for younger babies so ensure you puree thoroughly. If you are not skinning the pepper, wash it thoroughly before cooking. You can skin the pepper by placing in a preheated oven at 180C for 20 minutes or carefully holding over a gas flame to scorch the skin all over. Once the skin has been cooked, place in a sealable plastic bag for around ten minutes to sweat. The skin should easily come off.*If you don’t plan on using the rest of the chickpeas in the can, you can freeze the remaining for another time, or whizz up with some oil and tahini to make humus.
Recipe courtesy of Piccolo
Visit www.mylittlepiccolo.com for more information