Purees and finger foods are all well and good, but when you’re cooking for the whole family, it’s great to have a go-to recipe that you will all enjoy and we think this one’s definitely worth a try. Perfect for self feeders from 13-18 months and every older member of the family, this recipe contains lots of delicious spices that not only taste great, but have wonderful health benefits. This mild curry recipe by Doctor Yum at DoctorYum.org is a delicious way to widen your child’s taste palate and create a dish the whole family will love.
Recipe: Tofu and Tomato Curry
- Serves 4
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 slice ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
¾ teaspoon chili powder
1 cinnamon stick
5 tomatoes, diced
1 pack (392 g) extra-firm tofu (freeze overnight and removed the next day to thaw)
2 tablespoons (25 g) sugar
1 cup (235 ml) coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
2. Add the curry, turmeric, chili powder, and cinnamon and cook for another minute.
3. Add the tomatoes and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft.
4. Add the tofu and sugar and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Add the coconut milk and bring the curry to a simmer. Remove the cinnamon stick and serve warm.
Did you know?
Curry helps reduce inflammation, boost immunity, and increase the liver’s ability to remove toxins from the body.
Baby Self-Feeding: Solid Food Solutions to Create Lifelong, Healthy Eating Habits by Nancy Ripton and Melanie Potock, published by Fair Winds Press (£16.99), is out now.